Saturday, September 12, 2015

Something different

I was asked, at short notice, to paint up some 3d-printed scale houses.

These are to be used in a  TV commercial, shot in Vancouver and LA, for a luxury car company. The ad will be run at Christmas.

The models I was provided with presented some new challenges. I've never painted a printed model before.
The laminar nature of extrusion printing created channels that paint likes to run down, very enthusiastically!
As the producers wanted the option of lighting the models (they'd done some tests with prototypes) I was to leave the windows bare where possible, so I masked as many as I could prior to priming. This would allow light to spill out once LEDs had been inserted in drilled holes in the base.









The scale varied from about 8-10mm for the first 3, to ~4mm for the bottom one.

There were 2 more, but I was no able to complete them by the cut off. This was about 10 hours work.

Please feel free contact me at  FrozenNorthPainting@gmail.com

~FNP

No comments:

Post a Comment